Budgeting – Getting Started
The first step I took to organize my finances was to open multiple checking and savings accounts. Today, we are going to start looking at the different checking accounts I have and why.
I have four separate checking accounts.
1. His – Hubby pay check gets directly deposited into his account. Every Friday morning, I log in and transfer his paycheck less $150 into my account. The money left in this account is his to do with as he pleases no questions asked.
2. Mine – My account is where our grocery money, field trips, gifts or anything that is not a definite set amount, including my spending money is kept. As long as our needs are meet and there are groceries in the pantry/freezer this money is mine to spend as I see fit.
3. Bill Account – We deposit the same set amount into this account each Friday. All of our bills are then paid electronically through this account. More on this in a future post.
4. Online Offer Account – Because we have done away with all of our credit cards, I need a debit card for the online offers that I do. I keep a very small amount of money in this account and it is only used for online offers. More on those later.
Why do I need so many accounts? I have found that our money is better managed when we aren’t both dipping from the same pot. I don’t have to stress that he will go by an ATM and pull out a few hundred $ and see a large balance and start spending not knowing that I just mailed off the house, car, and truck payment.
This works for us, but may not work for others. In our home, hubby isn’t involved with any of the bill paying. He knows what the big ticket items are and realizes that everything else cost money but has no idea who I need to pay and when. He just knows that it gets done. The burden of the sole responsibility was very stressful to me until I set up separate accounts and felt I had better control over our spending habits.
- Happy New Year's Eve Everyone
- Merry Christmas!
- No COUPONS!
- What I've Won This Week!
- Free Fruit Roll-Ups!
- A Neat New Way to Earn A Little Cash!
- Circumstances Change
- I Miss My Grocery Deals Too!
- Tales of A Tightwad is hosting a GiveAway!
- Free Entertainment Book!
- Give Me More GiveAways!
- Looks like a Great Coupon Weekend!
- Well, Things Have Been A Little Crazy!
- Are You Ready To Advertise?
- JCPenney Sale Saturay Dec 13th
- Circuit City has Free Digital Frames
- KB Toys is Going Out Of Business
- Aeropostale Coupon Code Today Only...
- Free Winter Health Samples!
- The Winner of My First GiveAway Is......
- A New Look!
- Walgreen's Deals 12/7-12/14
- Nickelodean sponsors $500 Walmart GC Giveaways
- Aeropostale Online Sale Today Only
- Freebies at Target!
- Free Maybeline Lip Products
- Free RedBox Movie Code
- GiveAway Reminder!
- Sweet Online Deal At Blair!
- I need your feedback
- Get your Chevron Gift Cards
- I'm Frugal, Not Cheap!
- Budgeting - Getting Started
- Save Money Avoid Late Fees
- RedBox Movie Codes
- Sorry, Things Have Been A Little Crazy
- Free Johnson's Buddies Bar
- Save $3 on Disney DVDs
- Another Free Razor
- Saving Money in the New Year
- New Blinkies In Stores This Week!
- Free $10 From Coinstar
- Cheap Pork Chops For Dinner
- Tackle It Tuesday!
- My New Free Knives!
- I need ORDER!
- ▼ December (47)